[lbo-talk] request for WSJ article

Jerry Monaco monacojerry at gmail.com
Sun Jun 25 11:15:13 PDT 2006

> Several times a week the front page contains
> a great piece that a left periodical should have done. But their
> reporters have a lot of resources to work with - they're allowed a
> long time to work on those pieces, and you get lots of access when
> you say you're calling from the WSJ. ...
>
> I'd be really surprised if the WSJ survives in anything like its
> present form for even 5 years. It's just not cost-effective.

Doug,

Don't you think "the people who matter" (the ruling class in general and their elite servants, major investors, finance capital, etc) need something like the WSJ in order to keep "balance" (maintain the status quo, get feedback that is not simply NYT propaganda or corporate publicity? If the newspaper model is not cost effective who will take up the slack and serve this function of transferring "necessary information" that is realistically beyond the necessary illusions? I know you don't read tea-leaves but I was wondering if you had any thoughts on what seems to me to be the necessary function of the WSJ and similar papers like the Financial Times, etc.

Jerry