[lbo-talk] Ward Churchill to be Fired

Michael J. Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Tue Jun 27 10:46:46 PDT 2006

On Tuesday 27 June 2006 00:07, Doug Henwood wrote:

> On Jun 26, 2006, at 11:19 PM, Michael J. Smith wrote:
>
> > Academe
> > is full of shabby scholars and desperate chancers ...
> > It would be much nicer if
> > [Churchill] were Noam
> > Chomsky, but who is?
>
> Noam, for one. This is all true, but isn't it a little bit insulting
> to Noam and all the other left-wing academics who try really hard to
> get it right?

Don't know why it should be insulting to anybody but the aforesaid desperate chancers -- and you know who you are. Or no, you probably don't.

Churchill is certainly not a poster boy for academic freedom, but then of course they wouldn't choose a poster boy to persecute, would they? They'd want to take on somebody who was an easier target than Noam Chomsky. But if they succeed with Churchill today, they'll be that much closer to taking out Chomsky tomorrow.

There's a natural tendency to want to throw our embarrassments to the wolves. Trouble is, this encourages the wolves.

-- --Michael J. Smith --mjs at smithbowen.net

http://stopmebeforeivoteagain.org