[lbo-talk] The very worst custodians of empire

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 28 08:53:35 PDT 2006

--- joanna <123hop at comcast.net> wrote:

> Chris Doss wrote:
>

> >I can imagine pogroms in the US against Mexicans.
> With
> >greater difficulty I can imagine them against
> Blacks.
> >
> How odd. Lynching blacks was routine practice and
> rural entertainment
> until the sixties. After a ten-year pause, the
> pogrom returned, only now
> it's being run by the law enforcement forces and the
> prison industrial
> complex of the U.S.
>
> If you are a black male in this country today, this
> society has
> basically two plans for you: jail or death. 1/3 of
> the black mail
> population passes through the jail system now.

That's structural racism (I expect Woj to chime in any minute now! ;) ). That's not a pogrom. A pogrom is mass mob violence, as in Russia 1905, Krystallnacht, Rwanda in the '90s, Ajerbaijan in 1989, the US South in the 50s. There hasn't been mass ethnic violence in the US since the lynching era.

Nu, zayats, pogodi!