Diminished Expectations (Re: [lbo-talk] plea from gay Iranian)

Angelus Novus fuerdenkommunismus at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 30 02:25:14 PDT 2006

--- Yoshie Furuhashi <critical.montages at gmail.com> wrote:
> How can you entertain questions from the outer
> planets seriously, in
> the midst of the attack on Palestinians?

So you're saying that long-term goals are permanently postponed as long as Palestinians (or any other "peoples") are under attack?

That seems to me a strange way of thinking. By that logic, we might as well abandon communism entirely, since there is always some crisis somewhere affecting somebody, whether Palestinians, Sudan, Iraq, the Kurds. That's the nature of the system.

But your argument is that we have to permanently disregard questions of how we want the future to look to concentrate on those problems. This strikes me not as communism, but as a form of liberal humanitarianism. It's very moralistic too. "How can we even discuss communism when x is happening in y?" I think with this way of thinking, one might as well support things like the NATO intervention in Kosovo.