Diminished Expectations (Re: [lbo-talk] plea from gay Iranian)

Angelus Novus fuerdenkommunismus at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 30 02:44:28 PDT 2006

> I'm not suggesting abandonment at all. I was trying
> to explain why
> people were excited about Chavez and not making more
> radical demands.

Yes, that is probably the reason why people are excited about Chavez, it's just a little bit depressing that they are willing to settle for that.

It seems that four years ago, Argentina was in all the discussions, and the books by Hardt & Negri and John Holloway were part of the general intellectual fashion on the left. I think the globalization movement and the dynamics of that movement inspired a belief that we were entering a period of self-activity and emancipatory social movements.

Some of the worst accusations made against the movement by its opponents, that it was anti-cosmopolitan and sought a return to the protections of the nation-state, have now actually turned out to be true.