[lbo-talk] Bartels on Frank, etc.

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Mar 3 11:46:05 PST 2006

info at pulpculture.org wrote:

>Since I'm too lazy and tied up with other things, what was the
>thesis of Frank's book anyway. I have completely forgotten?

Republicans have been using "cultural issues" to lure workers to vote against their own economic interests. An interesting sub-theme is that the Reps don't mean to win the culture wars - e.g., abortion is still legal - they just want to inflame the masses. In the paper I posted a link to the other day, Ellen Willis challenges this by pointing out that abortion becomes less & less available all the time.

Doug