[lbo-talk] Hillary for President

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri Mar 3 12:13:24 PST 2006

Andy wrote:

> On 3/3/06, Yoshie Furuhashi <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu> wrote:
>
> > I bet that there won't be as big a stampede among leftists to vote
> > for Hillary as there was for Kerry. She conjures in the minds of
> > leftist men a teacher they hated in elementary school.
>
> Stampede? I got the impression that even center-left types held
> their noses when they voted for Kerry. There was that PIPA poll
> that indicated that most Kerry voters knew his positions (such as
> they were) on the Iraq adventure even if they were opposed to same.

I didn't say that there was a sudden overflow of love for Kerry among leftists. I said there was a stampede of leftists to _vote_ for Kerry, no matter how much they hated his policy . There's not gonna be the same for Hillary in 2008.

The only chance for Hillary would be an unexpected emergence of a strong third-party candidate on the right, like Ross Perot (who got almost 19% of the popular vote in 1992 and 8.4% in 1996), that would divide right-wing votes.

Yoshie Furuhashi <http://montages.blogspot.com> <http://monthlyreview.org> <http://mrzine.org>