[lbo-talk] Social Movements

Leigh Meyers leighcmeyers at gmail.com
Fri Mar 3 15:13:12 PST 2006

Doug Henwood wrote:
> Leigh Meyers wrote:
>
>> The response I receive whenever I mention how incongruous
>> it is for 'lefties' to be driving S.U.Vs more than validates that
>> belief.
>
> Yeah, politics is all about random observations of personal behavior.
> How accurate and/or meaningful do you think your statement really is?

Point by point:

What makes it a 'random' observation? That happens to be one of the common critiques I hear... The quip about not seeing the difference between the two "L"s. Along with "...the US left has been assimilated into American culture to the point of being pointless." (paraphrased from a short conversation with an 80 year old old ex-Schachtmanite friend of mine.

FWIW, The question that triggered that response was: "Charlie, What the fuck is the matter with Marxists?)

Perhaps it's possible to converse just with people who understand what 'left' means as I understand it, but that doesn't seem constructive.

What does 'left' mean to you? And more importantly, how is it living up to that meaning?

Please inform.... I'm all eyes!

I figure the odds be 50/50... (that the 'left' speaks for the average working person on any given issue.)

Meaningful is in the eyes of the observer, and as the saying goes: "The whole world is watching"

So, what exactly is the 'left' doing that would be worth watching? (...and that doesn't mean 'doing' within the mainstream of culture, ie. re-creating old (or parallel) socio-political structures that most likely wouldn't work better under any other aegis than it did for the original purveyors.)

"If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done." - Peter Ustinov

Leigh www.leighm.net http://leighmdotnet.blogspot.com/