[lbo-talk] a teacher in trouble and the union

Jim Devine jdevine03 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 3 18:24:40 PST 2006

> One of Fitch's laws of American unionism: they don't care about the workers, they care about dues. He doesn't pay dues. Fuck him.<

Doug, as others (John, mh) have pointed out, you're going too far here. You're reacting too much to Nathan's knee-jerk defense of unionism...

If you stick the word "business" before "unionism," I'd agree with the "law."

as John L suggests, there are two main problems with unions in the US (and I don't think old-fashioned corruption is one of the two main ones). The first is lack of democracy, which applies especially to the big "internationals," even though the undemocratic leadership sometimes has "progressive" opinions and engages in solidaristic actions. The second is fragmentation: the most democratic unions are often the most narrow-minded (economistic) in their practice, treating the union as an exclusive club. This is most true for the building trades and some of the other craft unions.

Of course, all unions are suffering from the one-sided class war, that of business. -- Jim Devine / Bust Big Brother Bush! "America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between." -- Oscar Wilde.