[lbo-talk] a teacher in trouble, reply to Nathan

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Mar 5 09:01:55 PST 2006

Nathan Newman wrote:

>Which is why from the left and the right there is no much political energy
>spent on shaping curricula in the classroom. And schools have the legal
>right to discipline any teacher who deviates from the approved curriculum.
>Most towns don't exercise that power completely and give teachers some
>flexibility, but if teachers think their purpose is to slip in information
>outside "mainstream US political discourse", they should be campaigning for
>education curricula reform, not becoming teachers.

It's been a long time since I was in a public school, but I remember a constant barrage of "patriotic" anti-Communist propaganda, starting with the pledge of allegiance in the morning (a ritual that, as someone pointed out a couple of years ago, exists in no other democracy). Does the equivalent happen today?

Doug