[lbo-talk] a sampling of the WBAI "community"

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Mar 5 10:07:56 PST 2006

There's a message board called Goodlight devoted to WBAI topics. It's mainly domianted by fevered speculations and toxic polemics. Here's one luscious sample <http://www.listenerforums.net/cgi-bin/issues_config.pl?read=48703>:

Stop attacks on the PD! Responsibility lies with GM Hardat. Posted By: Brianna Johnson (4.236.219.97) Date: Saturday, 4 March 2006, at 3:58 p.m. Any shortcomings in this fundraising drive are solely the fault of the GM, Ms. Indra Hardat. JUC supporters have been waving the red flags about Ms. Hardat for months now. We have noted the contradiction of installing at a Black station a GM who is neither Black nor shares Black values, and in fact brings with her the values of the Crown. And we predicted that the conflict that would arise out of this contradiction was inevitable. Now that the conflict is out in the open, the usual suspects attack our long-serving Black PD! Not that we should be surprised by such racist treachery (it being in their blood), but one would think that even redneck List-proggers and posters on the goodwhite board would figure out that responsibility lies with the General Manager, not the PD.

----

Glossary

PD = Program Director, Bernard White GM = General Manager (interim), Indra Hardat JUC = Justice and Unity Coalition, the black-nationalist-flavored contingent

that dominates WBAI governance List-proggers = a rival coalition to JUC that plays the race game itself