[lbo-talk] a teacher in trouble, reply to Nathan

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Sun Mar 5 11:20:03 PST 2006

>So I'm hardly alone in seeing it as one of the most significant victories
>for progressives in 2005.

-With the exception of the CAP, these are all short election-day press -releases. That's hardly broad coverage.

Why does media coverage even equal significance. My whole point is that a massive battle over TABOR was happening, draining resources from the CEA, and it was therefore quite reasonable to treat this short-term teacher media story as a distraction from its real work. Folks on the list were berating the CEA for not making this teacher's case a priority and the point is that they have better things to do with their time and money.

Part of my frustration with LBO arguments is that they are uninformed by most of what goes on politically, partly because the media is so bad at covering progressive political work, but that's little excuse for LBOers libelling other progressive activists out of ignorance. If you aren't following Colorado politics closely, don't excuse Colorado teachers of betraying other workers without a bit more knowledge and evidence.

Nathan Newman