[lbo-talk] eminent domain

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 5 14:16:51 PST 2006

--- Jim Devine <jdevine03 at gmail.com> wrote:

> is it "passed them by" or "hasn't hit them yet"?
> globalization/neo-liberalism works unevenly, at
> different rates in
> different places.

You can find traces of "Western" culture (as locally interpreted) everywhere. I spent a few months in a very small town (pop. about 2,000) in Kalguga Oblast (about 5 hours by bus from Moscow), and in the street market you could get school notebooks with Brittney Spears and the X-Files on the cover. Then again, next to them you would have the notebooks with Russian pop stars/movie stars on them. They coexist.

I note that a lot of Russian rap videos, most of which are done by Russians in Russian, have a brief cameo of Black guy rapping in English. Ironically, this being Russia, the Black rappers are almost invariably first- or second-generation African immigrants to Russia.

Nu, zayats, pogodi!