[lbo-talk] Hillary for President

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sun Mar 5 22:20:23 PST 2006

Mike wrote:

> In my opinion, the strength of class consciousness is still too
> weak to allow
> for anything greater than the possibility of a Hillary Clinton
> Presidency.
>
> Illusions?
>
> Time for the circular firing squad! Ladies and gentlemen choose
> your rifles.
>
> Members of the left will shoot each other over this issue for the
> next couple
> of years. If we had say, a strong I.W.W. by the end of 2007,
> circumstances
> would change and so would the voices and programs of the
> polytricksters.
> Assuming that this will not happen, Hillary will be the better
> option between
> the two, inevitably legitimized electoral choices put before the
> proletariat.

2008 won't be like 2004, and I don't think that there will be much fighting on the left over the presidential campaign. The Green Party is unlikely to recover from 2004 enough to run a coherent presidential campaign in 2008; and Hillary Clinton turns off left- wing Democrats and those to their left far more than John Kerry did, and there won't be Bush to campaign against.

Who will be the Republican candidate? If it is Chuck Hagel or John McCain against Clinton, 2008 will be even more muddled than 2004!

Yoshie Furuhashi <http://montages.blogspot.com> <http://mrzine.org> <http://monthlyreview.org>