[lbo-talk] Unions: Resuscitate or pull the plug?

Michael Hoover hooverm at scc-fl.edu
Wed Mar 8 18:36:34 PST 2006

>>> JBrown72073 at cs.com 03/07/06 1:46 PM >>>
Union dues are one of the few organized pots of money that is not rich people's money funnelled through corporate and family foundations, corporations, etc. Union pension funds are another source of political power. If you want to instead fight for universal health care, living wage laws or labor law enforcement, how are you going to fund that? Cookie sales? And since our wages will go down upon the demise of our unions, we won't have a lot left over to give you, even if we could be organized to do so (which also takes money.) Jenny Brown <<<<<>>>>>

union locals have been prinicipal funders of living wage campaigns (currently about 130 successful ones around u.s.), union folks played important role in local organization here in orblando and i understand that to be case in most other places as well, florida teacher union was major contributor to successful campaign to create state minimum wage higher than that of federal level...

local media in central florida pretty much ignores organized labor, orlando slantinel editor's head spun around some years ago when i asked - at a forum on news coverage - why paper had business section, but no labor section, notion simply didn't register on person's radar screen... mh