[lbo-talk] Unions: Resuscitate or pull the plug?

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Mar 8 19:15:14 PST 2006

It occurs to me that this whole discussion has had a tendency to duplicate the source of union corruption: an identification of unions with the current leadership at the national level. I haven't followed it closely, but has anyone in it discussed union membership as opposed to union bureaucracy?

Local leadership, even if not very good, is somewhat responsive to members. And strong (democratic) locals have been, may be again, centers of opposition to union bureaucracy.

The CIO did not come out of nowhere; it emerged from elements within the AFL.

Carrol