[lbo-talk] we sooo won the culture wars

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Mar 10 10:40:29 PST 2006

info at pulpculture.org wrote:

>http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=1707141&CMP=OTC-RSSFeeds0312
>
>I've never understood that claim anyway. In society -- in social
>life -- you don't win anything once and for all. So please don't
>ever peddle that bullshit again with the intention of making fun of
>those of us living in red states who've been telling you that it
>ain't won here and if it was, they weren't letting up, taking their
>defeat like gentlemen.

There's a big difference between what people say and what they do (and I think they're more likely to vote how they say than do). There was an interesting piece in the NYT the other day reporting on how parental notication laws have had little effect on abortion rates. The probable reasons: kids mostly tell their parents anyway, and parents don't want their teen daughters to have kids. Most relevant to this, the article quoted abortion counselors as saying that "pro-life" mothers even urged their daughters to have abortions. But would that stop them for voting for a pro-life Republican?

Doug