[lbo-talk] we sooo won the culture wars

info at pulpculture.org info at pulpculture.org
Fri Mar 10 11:01:22 PST 2006

At 01:40 PM 3/10/2006, Doug Henwood wrote:
>info at pulpculture.org wrote:
>
>>http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=1707141&CMP=OTC-RSSFeeds0312
>>
>>I've never understood that claim anyway. In society -- in social life --
>>you don't win anything once and for all. So please don't ever peddle that
>>bullshit again with the intention of making fun of those of us living in
>>red states who've been telling you that it ain't won here and if it was,
>>they weren't letting up, taking their defeat like gentlemen.
>
>There's a big difference between what people say and what they do (and I
>think they're more likely to vote how they say than do). There was an
>interesting piece in the NYT the other day reporting on how parental
>notication laws have had little effect on abortion rates. The probable
>reasons: kids mostly tell their parents anyway, and parents don't want
>their teen daughters to have kids. Most relevant to this, the article
>quoted abortion counselors as saying that "pro-life" mothers even urged
>their daughters to have abortions. But would that stop them for voting for
>a pro-life Republican?

Have you answered my point, which was that the argument that "we've won culture wars" is silly on its face since you don't fucking "win" anything, ever, in politics.

What has always been annoying is that the argument was trotted out for two reasons:

1. to dismiss those who might vote Dem in years that are divisible by 4. We were told that no one will ever overturn Roe.

2. to make fun of people who were characterized as, uh, shrill b/c they happened to think that we had to fight for roe and academic freedom and etc. NOW.

Alas, we were told that we were silly. Repeatedly.

It is irrelevant to me that it was already difficult to get an abortion in SD. What matters now is how important the symbolic victories are for a right who will be ever more emboldened by their symbolic victories.

Because, mark my words, the rightnuts are absolutely emboldened by this.

Did the male bloggers on this list bother to help out with organizing a network. Something that cost them nothing but -- oh dear -- it might ruin _their_ reputations and it might cut into their preferred political axe grinding.

No, only Dwayne bothered and Gar's doing what he can. This was about organizing, but you can't even get a man to do that.

Bitch | Lab http://blog.pulpculture.org