[lbo-talk] FBI Grills Professor Critical of U.S. Venezuela Policy

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Mar 10 10:59:43 PST 2006

Charles Brown wrote:

> Well, we are not on the road to fascism, but we can get to fascism on this
> road.

No. We can get to a police state (a non-fascist police state) by this route, a police state which will be far more stable than were the fascist statess. And you contribute to the possible victory of such a police state by mislabelling it fascism.

This label of fascism simply ignores how horrible the capitalist state at its best is. It is essentially an apology for capitalism.

It is also an apology for imperialism, for it obscures the fact that a state which is still "bourgeois democratic" at home can be even worse than a fascist state from the perspective of the rest of the world.

Well-meaning liberals no damn well that we are not living in a fascist state (or even, at this time, a potentially fascist state), and because of that they don't really believe what we try to tell them about the horror of u.s. actions in the world. We MUST explain to more and more people that a democratic state can be a criminal state, a rogue state, a threat to the entire human species. And nothing makes this task more difficult that the identification of "fascist" and evil. The non-fascist can be evil.

Carrol

Carrol