[lbo-talk] REAL divestiture, or just an Enron style bookkeeping fraud?

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Sun Mar 12 08:15:41 PST 2006

On Mar 12, 2006, at 4:51 AM, Marvin Gandall wrote:

> Marta Russell wrote:
>
> On Mar 11, 2006, at 1:24 PM, Doug Henwood wrote:
>
> Marta Russell wrote:
>
> CONGRESS MUST ENFORCE DIVESTITURE OF ALL FOREIGN GOVERNMENT CONTROL
> AND
> OWNERSHIP OVER OUR PORTS
>
> Why?
>
> Doug
>
> The arguments have been all over the media. Do you think this
> stance is
> based on hysteria?
>
> Small businesses and others are in need of sources of income here.
> Personally I think Americans should have these jobs -- and Halliburton
> should not get the contracts. I never understood why, for
> instance, the US
> contracts federal overseas jobs that could be going to unemployed
> disabled
> people in this country.
>
> Marta
> This story from the Washington Post reports on how shipping and ports
> management in the US is already virtually ALL foreign-owned,
> including by
> another firm from Dubai with the same CEO as DP World, and the
> (economic)
> reasons for it. The recent furor has to be seen as racist Arab-bashing
> coupled with Democratic Party opportunism on the security issue.
>
> * * *

So people are generally ignorant of these kinds of transactions. Did you know any of this before the recent flap over Dubai?

I strongly disagree with you. Dubai is owned by the government of the United Arab Emirates. They were chums with the Taliban and were connected with people that have ties to Bin Laden. Two of the 9/11 hijackers were citizens of the emirates, and some of the money for the attacks came from there. It was one of only three countries in the world that recognized the Taliban regime. And Dubai was an important transshipment point for the smuggling network of Abdul Qadeer Khan, the Pakistani scientist who supplied Libya, Iran and North Korea with equipment for making nuclear weapons.

Besides who would want to support a deal that is going to benefit the Bush Crime Family and their friends, like John Snow?

Arab bashing my ass.

Marta