[lbo-talk] what to do in NY, NY this week?

Sean Johnson Andrews inciteinsight at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 12 12:04:33 PST 2006

sorry to intrude on the more pressing discussions of late, but I know many people on this list are residents of NYC. My college age sister and her boyfriend are here in DC w/ me visiting and we are all planning to head to New York later this week. He's a cellist and she's interested in feminist theory and religion: they're both savvy about contemporary music and seem to enjoy all the art museums we've gone to down here. I could refer to a guidebook but we only have a few days and I thought some of you might have suggestions for things to do *right now* in NY.

i.e. -exhibits that are going on that we shouldn't miss (I know the thing at the Whitney is having its biennial now...anything else? What about theatre? I've tried to wade through recent reviews but can't tell if there is anything that is must see.)

-good places to eat/hang out that also happen to be cheap enough for college/grad students. we're staying near 49th and lexington but anything accessible by subway would be great. coffee shops, pizza joints, delis or just interesting neighborhoods are especially desired. "grown up" restaurants would be good too as parents will be joining them next weekend.

-anything else you wish clueless tourists would do instead of seeing a broadway musical or times square in order to appreciate the city.

I'd appreciate any pointers--even if it is just to a particularly good website or resource.

thanks in advance.

-s