[lbo-talk] Re: Sharon, man of peace

Seth Kulick skulick at seas.upenn.edu
Mon Mar 13 12:22:57 PST 2006

> Message: 2
> Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 13:27:55 -0500
> From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>
> Subject: [lbo-talk] Sharon, man of peace
> To: lbo-talk <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org>
>
> "Even today I am willing to volunteer to do the dirty work for
> Israel, to kill as many Arabs as necessary, to deport them, to expel
> and burn them, to have everyone hate us, to pull the rug from
> underneath the feet of the Diaspora Jews, so that they will be forced
> to run to us crying. Even if it means blowing up one or two
> synagogues here and there, I don't care. And I don't mind if after
> the job is done you put me in front of a Nuremberg Trial and then
> jail me for life. Hang me if you want, as a war criminal..."
>
> - from an Interview with Ariel Sharon published in the Israeli daily
> Davar Dec. 17, 1982

This is from the Amos Oz interview. But Oz never identified the person as Sharon (only as "C." or "Z."), and I think has actually denied it. Back in 2002, I noticed that this was being sent around with the claim that the interviewee is Sharon, and I asked Yigal Arens about this. I don't want to quote from personal email, but he indicated that there is not really any evidence to believe that it is Sharon, and that the personal details provided do not really fit Sharon well.