[lbo-talk] Fight the taboo on the use of the word "racist"

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Mar 13 13:55:07 PST 2006

Jim Devine wrote:

>The GOPsters are racist, yes, but using that word too much weakens its
>meaning. After all, the Demoncrats are also largely racist, no? at
>least many of the white ones?

But they don't depend anywhere near as much on coded racist appeals, and get 90% of the black vote. Did you notice that reception that Bill Clinton got at the Coretta Scott King funeral despite having ended welfare as we know it, a task that thrived on coded racist appeals?

Bartels work shows the south as the sole regional outlier on the Republican shift for voters without college degrees. There's only one reason for that, no?

Doug