[lbo-talk] AOL

Jim Devine jdevine03 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 13 18:12:10 PST 2006

speaking of big scary totalitarian organizations, I finally conquered AOL. (Poor grammar: it sounds as if _I'm_ big, scary, etc.) Awhile back I mentioned that I was regularly being charged $1.99 for an AOL "service" I didn't use (something called "AOL Expressions"), even though I had taken AOL-related "services" off all of the computers in the house. Well, I tried working on it through Mastercard, but that wasn't working either. Eventually, I left a message on Elliott Spitzer's web-page, so that the fightin' DA (who was already on AOL's trail for other things) could get on my side. His office forwarded my complaint to the California DA and I finally got results. AOL said "we have no evidence!," so I provided it. They owed me $55, not counting pain and suffering. Well, I don't know where the difference came from, but AOL refunded almost $51.

so let's count that as a victory! ;-) -- Jim Devine / "There can be no real individual freedom in the presence of economic insecurity." -- Chester Bowles