[lbo-talk] Ariel Levy's confession: the academics did it!

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Mon Mar 13 20:56:37 PST 2006

I was in academia from 71 to 89 and I never ran across what Levy describes. At UCB, scary/radical campus, it took enormous effort to create a women's studies department and it remained a pretty marginal effort throughout. The study of the classical canon was center stage at every other institution I attended (UCLA, UCB, U Santa Clara, SUNY Plattsburgh); at most institutions it occupied the entire stage, with no room left for anything else.

Having devoted a good deal of my studies to the classics: Latin, Greek, English Renaissance, I must say that I think very highly of it as a field of study because without it, you simply cannot understand the Western Mind. You need to know this tradition inside out to understand how our notions of objective truth, beauty, value, hierarchy, tradition, art, science, etc., were created and shaped. This is not to say that the study of gender, race, etc. is not important, and it is not to say that those western notions are absolute and eternal in any way.

I do share Levy's nausea with academic self promotion and pomo text reading for its crass ignorance, for its vacuous verbiage, for its self-importance, for its stupidity, for its arrogance, for its betrayal of clarity and of rigor, and therefore for its betrayal of the working class.

Nuff said,

Joanna