[lbo-talk] Ariel Levy's confession: the academics did it!

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Mar 14 10:42:32 PST 2006

info at pulpculture.org quoted Ariel Levy:

>But we figured it couldn't do any harm for them to offer one
>canonical literature course for those of us who wanted to grasp the
>references in the contemporary Latin American poetry we were reading
>in every other class.

Ok, appended below are the current undergrad course offerings in English at Wesleyan <http://www.wesleyan.edu/course/englc.htm>. I see some race/gender/queer stuff, but I also see plenty of canonical literature. (A member of my Yale class of '75 list, Rob Watson, teaches English at UCLA and who's one of the targets of the Horowitzites, says their offerings are almost entirely canonical lit, despite the cons' claims to the contrary.) So either Levy's reporting some really old news that's now out of date, or she's all wet.

Doug

----

Responsive Writing English Renaissance Drama The Environmental Imagination: Green Writing and Ecocriticism Henry David Thoreau: His Art and Thought in Relation to His Times King Lear and The Tempest: The Worlds of Tragedy and Romance The English Essay Storyfirst Online Writing and Reading Short Stories Introduction to Fiction Writing Intermediate Fiction Writing Intro to Poetic Technique Telling and Storytelling: An Introduction to Writing Creative Non-Fiction Techniques of Fiction Writing Creative Nonfiction Beginning Poetry Workshop Intermediate Fiction Workshop Poetry Writing Workshop: The African American Tradition The Study of Literature American Literature from the Colonial Period to the Civil War Shakespeare Chaucer's Canterbury Tales Introduction to Western Drama Readings in the Novel Medieval Romances Introduction to African American Literature Asian American Literature and Its Discontents Domesticity and Gender in Mid-19th-Century American Literature and Culture Poetry and Insight Postcolonial Literature Living on the American Land: Versions of Pastoral in U.S. Literature & Culture Latino/a Transnationalisms Feminist Theory Poets, Radicals, and Reactionaries: Romantic Poetry in Conversation Theories of Ethnicity and 20th Century Literature Queer Theory The Middle Passage in Black Atlantic Literature & Culture Poetics American Modernism Spoken and Unspeakable: Violence in Contemporary Literature and Theory Individual Tutorial, Undergraduate Senior Tutorial Senior Thesis Tutorial Group Tutorial, Undergraduate Education in the Field Teaching Apprentice Tutorial Individual Tutorial, Graduate Group Tutorial, Graduate Literature of London The English Essay Advanced Fiction Writing Personalizing History The Non-Traditional Essay Distinguished Writers/New Voices Advanced Poetry Workshop A Playwright's Workshop--Great Experiments in Theater Readings in American Drama The Study of Literature American Literature 1865-1945

From Cloister to Court: Radical Women in the Middle Ages The British Enlightenment Plays in Pairs Modern Drama I: Ibsen, Strindberg, Chekhov and After Selected Caribbean Women Writers Western Movies: Myth, Ideology and Genre After the Realist Novel: Literary Narrative, 1880-1914 Narrative and Ideology Historicizing Early Modern Sexualities Epic Tradition Renaissance Plays and Poems: The Tudor Period Shakespeare on Film Romanticism in America Whose Melville? Close Readings of Melville's Major Works Postcolonial Theory Recovering the Latino/a Literary Heritage of the 19th and Early 20th Centuries Twentieth Century African American Literature, 1940-Present Poetry by Women Aesthetics and Politics in Latino/a Literature History of the English Language Law, Race & Literature: An Introduction to Critical Race Theory Asian American Cultural Criticism James Baldwin: Race, Sexuality and American Culture The Modernist City and Country: Nostalgic and Utopian Impulses in 20th-Century Documentary Art Voice & Persona in Contemporary American Poetry The Prose Poem and the Politics of Genre British Modernist Fiction Making History in the Contemporary American Novel Plotting Marriage in African American Fiction Individual Tutorial, Undergraduate Senior Thesis Tutorial Group Tutorial, Undergraduate Student Forum Education in the Field Teaching Apprentice Tutorial