[lbo-talk] Fight the taboo on the use of the word "racist"

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Tue Mar 14 18:30:24 PST 2006

jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net wrote:
> On 14 Mar 2006 at 14:48, Jim Devine wrote:
>
>>I think Doug's formulation is better. The problem with the word
>>"racism" is not that it's been over-used as much as it's been
>>mis-used. For example, I've seen advocates of the W.J. Wilson
>>"declining significance of race" theory being described as "racist"
>>even though Wilson doesn't deny the existence of institutional racism.
>

> This just poses up another question. Why are some people mis-using the term? Where do they get their
> definition of racism? What is their definition of racism?

Like almost everything in a hyperindividualist society, it must be construed and described as a psychological trait. Think Maggie's "there's no such thing as society, only individual men and women". Remapping all social phenomena as individual traits is a crucial ideological bulwark for capitalism; thus the ubiquity of the "racism-as-psychological-aberration" silliness.

Miles