[lbo-talk] Fight the taboo on the use of the word "racist"

Jim Devine jdevine03 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 15 06:40:19 PST 2006

On 3/14/06, Miles Jackson <cqmv at pdx.edu> wrote:
> Like almost everything in a hyperindividualist society, it must be
> construed and described as a psychological trait. Think Maggie's
> "there's no such thing as society, only individual men and women".
> Remapping all social phenomena as individual traits is a crucial
> ideological bulwark for capitalism; thus the ubiquity of the
> "racism-as-psychological-aberration" silliness.

there's also the left-wing version: racism is a psychological norm in our society. Or a more general view, that racism is a psychological phenomenon.

What these miss is that racism is a structural/institutional phenomenon. These institutions -- e.g. capitalist divide-and-rule -- encourage racist psychological attitudes. In turn, such attitudes help to reproduce racist institutions over time. To focus on the psychological or linguistic side at the expense of the institutional side is incomplete at best. -- Jim Devine / "There can be no real individual freedom in the presence of economic insecurity." -- Chester Bowles