[lbo-talk] a vile cesspit of a film

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 15 10:57:04 PST 2006

from a review of the movie version of The Heart is Deceitful Above All Things:

"But now that we know that (J.T.) LeRoy is a chimera created by a writer with equal gifts for fiction and fraud, Deceitful is a vile cesspit of a film with no redeeming qualities at all. It’s one of those icky movies about the United States that certain kinds of Europeans like to make­imagine Werner Herzog’s Stroszek with none of the artistry­that makes you feel like a terrier is pushing your nose into the mess he just left on the kitchen floor. One suspects that cowriter-director Asia Argento was in on the LeRoy hoax, as she at one point claimed to be carrying JT’s baby, but we’ll have to let history (or New York magazine) sort that one out."

http://www.advocate.com/exclusive_detail_ektid27842.asp