[lbo-talk] a vile cesspit of a film

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Wed Mar 15 13:13:21 PST 2006

Dennis:
> "But now that we know that (J.T.) LeRoy is a chimera created
> by a writer with equal gifts for fiction and fraud, Deceitful
> is a vile cesspit of a film with no redeeming qualities at
> all. It's one of those icky movies about the United States
> that certain kinds of Europeans like to make-imagine Werner
> Herzog's Stroszek with none of the artistry-that makes you
> feel like a terrier is pushing your nose into the mess he
> just left on the kitchen floor.

What Herzog showed in Stroszek can be found in many places across the US - and it indeed looks like a mess someone left on the floor. Alexander Payne's portrayal of Omaha and the environs in About Schmidt fits the same mold. Outside a few playgrounds for the rich, the US is, for the most part, an ugly landscape (not counting the nature, of course).

Speaking of Herzog, has anyone seen his _Grizzly man_? I was impressed.

Wojtek