[lbo-talk] a vile cesspit of a film

Jim Devine jdevine03 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 16 09:26:56 PST 2006

On 3/16/06, Chris Doss <lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I remember that Assyrian-themed building -- I never
> knew what was inside it though.

it used to be a rubber factory. Now it's an outlet mall.

My friend Fernando Guerra (of LMU's poly sci and Chicano studies departments and the Center for the Study of L.A.) once calculated the most amazing gee-whiz statistic:

the workers at the rubber factory could afford to buy the median house in Los Angeles, but those at the outlet mall can just barely afford to rent the median apartment in L.A.

-- Jim Devine / "There can be no real individual freedom in the presence of economic insecurity." -- Chester Bowles