[lbo-talk] Misusing "Racism", was Re: Bush down to 33%; public loves posturingxenophobiccongress

jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Mar 16 13:05:56 PST 2006

On 16 Mar 2006 at 15:47, Nathan Newman wrote:

> [...]

What this boils down to is that for some reason you choose to believe Menendez truly feels that US ports are somehow less safe under the ownership of Dubai Ports than another firm. For many reasons I choose not to believe this. I think he is pandering to racists for political reasons.

I haven't yet condemned the man of the Dems for this by the way, I'm just not buying this as only a security issue or even primarily as one. It is about xenophobia first and foremost. If I thought the Dems would really use this issue to make political gains I would probably very hesitantly support it. It really seems more like a jab at Bush than anything else. Not exactly a greater good that defends the use of pandering to racists.

Why do you feel US ports would be less safe under this owner vs. another? What real safety concern do you have? I'm certainly open to this possibility but no one has made even a weakly coherent argument for this that I have read.

John Thornton