[lbo-talk] Fwd: [PEN-L] Kevin Phillips: declinist

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Thu Mar 16 14:02:43 PST 2006

Jim Devine wrote:

>I don't believe in "peak oil," but the likely environmental
>consequences of our continued oil addiction are of a similar magnitude
>to the posited results of peak oil. Different, but similar in terms of
>costs.

This is a bizzare claim: of course oil production will peak at some point and then decline! Fossil fuels are a finite resource. Do you mean to say that you disagree with the projected peak dates? --And more importantly: do you have empirically verified statistical models to support your preferred date, as the geologists who have carefully studied this topic do?

Miles