[lbo-talk] Bob Jones University Sacks Starbucks

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Mar 17 07:43:51 PST 2006

Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

> > FOX Carolina's Jamie Guirola reports, Starbucks has a very
>> open and accepting policy toward gays. The company also
>> offers benefits to domestic partners. Still, this Corporate
>> Equality Index or buyer's guide from a group supporting human
>> rights gives Starbucks an 86 out of a perfect 100.
>

>Lefties, take note. That is much better than the Democratic Party, the
>people who brought you DOMA.

I really don't get why Starbucks is such a target. They've improved the quality of coffee in much of the US - we can get misty-eyed about how it's destroyed little hipster cafes, but 1) they still exist in places where they're likely to exist, and 2) they never existed in most other places - and they're not bad employers compared to MCD or WMT. Their stores aren't ugly, and the snacks are pretty good too. And, as Biju Mathew, one of the organizers of the New York Taxi Workers Alliance, points out, they provide free restrooms for cabbies all over a town that's sorely lacking in them.

Doug