[lbo-talk] doom

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Mar 18 10:15:01 PST 2006

Michael Hoover wrote:

>There's still some time though: given the current rate of decline,
>private sector union density won't hit 0 until sometime in late 2030
>or early 2031; at 7.7% in 2005, it's falling at the comfortable pace
>of just 0.29 percentage points a year.
>Doug
>
>how does abve % change if former confederate states are not
>included, washington state, for example, has more union members
>than texas with about 1/3rd the employment...

Good question. If someone wants to do the math - I'm too lazy at the moment - state union membership data is at <http://www.trinity.edu/bhirsch/Monthly%20Labor%20Review%20Article.htm>. If you multiply the percentages in that sheet by total employment by state (available from the BLS website) you could answer this question. Except that the Hirsch data is for all workers, and I was citing private sector only.

Doug