[lbo-talk] Antiwar Protests Fizzle

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Sun Mar 19 22:08:45 PST 2006

mike larkin wrote:
> http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060319/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iraq_war_protests
>
> Global War Protests Attract Smaller Crowds
>
> By MICHELLE ROBERTS, Associated Press Writer1 hour, 1
> minute ago
>
> The third anniversary of the U.S.-led war in Iraq drew
> tens of thousands of protesters around the globe, from
> hurricane-ravaged Louisiana to Australia, with chants
> of "Stop the War" and calls for the withdrawal of
> troops.

A rather misleading headline. Protests were smaller in the usual places like NYC and San Francisco, but this was a weekend of decentralized protests. The AP writer doesn't understand this.

The turnout for protests this weekend has been pretty respectable, given the weather and the current political climate against the war. The protest today in Kansas City had a good turnout. Around 700-800 by my estimates.

Chuck