[lbo-talk] Right wing Israeli political party goes to Arab part of Jaffa and hands out leaflets calling Arabs to emigrate for money...fighting commences

Bryan Atinsky bryan at alt-info.org
Thu Mar 23 07:20:39 PST 2006

Well...some good came out of it...

"One of Herut's activists, a Jew with a heavy American accent, took out a stash of thousands of shekels from his pocket and offered Turk and the other residents to pay them "an advancement." Turk, in response, struck out at the money, which subsequently flew in every direction. Happy passersby were quick to pick up the bills, leaving the unlucky 'donor' empty handed."

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3231533,00.html -------- Rightists, Arabs clash over 'emigration deal'

(VIDEO) Jaffa residents hurl stun grenade, bottles at Herut party members who hand out leaflets calling on Arabs to emigrate from Israel in return for compensation Ali Waked

VIDEO - A violent confrontation erupted Thursday noon in Jaffa between Arab residents and some 15 activists of the rightist Herut (freedom) party, headed by Michael Kleiner, who offered the locals to emigrate from Israel in return for compensations. The locals beat up Kleiner and his associates, and also hurled a stun grenade and bottles at their direction. Herut members consequently fled the scene.

Evacuation-Compensation Deal Rightists to Arabs: Get paid, leave Israel / Ali Waked Posters hung by far-right party Herut in Arab neighborhoods, communities across country call on residents to emigrate from Israel in return for compensations. These fascist racists are the ones who should leave, Arab leaders say

Kleiner clashed with the chairman of the Arab neighborhoods committee in Jaffa Kamal Agbariya, former soccer player Rifat Turk and a group of local residents. Herut member decided to come to Jaffa after Rifat Turk threatened in a conversation with Ynet that "if they (rightists) came here during the day, our guys would know how to treat them."

One of Herut's activists, a Jew with a heavy American accent, took out a stash of thousands of shekels from his pocket and offered Turk and the other residents to pay them "an advancement." Turk, in response, struck out at the money, which subsequently flew in every direction. Happy passersby were quick to pick up the bills, leaving the unlucky "donor" empty handed.

Kleiner arrived at the Clock Tower Square in Jaffa accompanied by a group of right-wing activists. Upon his arrival Kleiner told Agbariya “this country was given to the sons of Isaac and not to the sons Ishmael. Just as I won’t Jews to be moved to France, we will not remove Arabs from Israel forcefully, but we are offering them to evacuate willingly in exchange for a fitting amount of money; they can choose from the 22 Arab countries at their disposal.”

He added “If the Arabs and Turk said we are coming like thieves in the night, now we are coming during the day, standing here and handing out propaganda leaflets in the heart of our country.”

Agbariya said in response “Arabs are residents of this country.”

Following the altercation Kleiner’s entourage of 15 people continued from Clock Tower Square to other Arab neighborhoods; far-rightist Baruch Marzel offered them his assistance.

Herut party spokesman Shmuel Ari said the Jaffa residents attacked party activists and vandalized one activist's car.

"When we saw the riots turn violent, we chose to clear the area rather than be harmed. All we did was talk to them, it was a legitimate offer from us, but they preferred to respond with violence. We have no problem honoring them, but what they did was a disgrace to democracy," said Ari.

(03.23.06, 14:31)