[lbo-talk] doom

Jim Devine jdevine03 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 24 12:50:17 PST 2006

On 3/24/06, Scissors MacGillicutty <scissorsmacgillicutty at gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't think that's a vote for giving up; just a reminder that
> putting the building blocks in place are a lot easier with a lot of
> $$$.

that's right. I'm not for giving up. It's important to "know thy enemy." and it's money power. We can't rely on using money power (e.g., Soros) because it'll turn on us if we go "too far" (in the money-owners' eyes).

only grass-roots movements (e.g., the 1960s-era anti-war, environmentalist, civil rights, feminist, etc., movements) can counteract the power of money. I don't think that's impossible in the future.

when I wrote about the billionaires, I was actually thinking about the right-wing newspaper at my high school in Illinois in the 1960s (called "The Capitalist"). It was financed by local businesses. But the left-wing (anarchopacifist) paper ("The Fifth Estate") was more popular.... -- Jim Devine / "There can be no real individual freedom in the presence of economic insecurity." -- Chester Bowles