[lbo-talk] DemocraticLeft] Slaves of Academe: We Don't Need Another Hero

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Fri Mar 24 13:59:13 PST 2006

Ultimately, I think that Albert gets some things wrong. I am suspicious of all leaders even the ones I "support". But the fundamental question for a citizen of the United States is preventing (or at least limiting) U.S. intervention in Latin America. Personally, I think, given the massive intervention of the U.S. government and the U.S. economic system in Latin America, it is irrelevant, for us, what kind of leader Chavez is.... We must on the U.S. left try to oppose the systems of political and economic domination that originate in the U.S. and thus space for those in Latin America to develop their own solutions.

^^^^^ CB: I support this motion.

^^^^

The problem of Che-chic is a problem for those of us on the left to deal with in our own way. It is true that Che is the James Dean of the left. This is something to worry about, but it is also something to worry about that we live in a society that needs to have a "James Dean."

^^^^^^^ CB: I kinda like Ho Chi Minh as a role model, myself. Chi-chic.