[lbo-talk] Why there's no strategy to end this war

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Sun Mar 26 23:41:08 PST 2006

Steven L. Robinson wrote:
> Chuck - Given what you have said below, what is your opinion of the USLAW
> mobilization against the war set for the end of next month? SR

I know that USLAW was organizing something, but is this the same thing as the UFPJ protest in New York City?

Any protest is better than nothing at this point, but I think that many people want to see some different strategies. Even if groups like UFPJ and USLAW stick with mass demos, there are some thing they could be doing differently in that format. One tweak they should consider is doing mass demos more frequently. The ANSWER/UFPJ strategy of doing mass demos every six months is just unacceptable. This timing suits the needs of these organizations and are divorced from any strategy that is tied to current developments.

Another change would involve changing the demands stated during thes protests. Or what these groups suggest people do for taking action. Asking people to campaign for Democrats isn't going to motivate people. What can these groups ask people to do that inspires people to do something to stop the war?

Of course, I'm in favor of more dramatic measures to bring the war home and disrupt the war machine. The anti-war movement--for all of its professed allegiance to nonviolence--can't even organize mass civil disobedience. There are smaller groups doing NVCD and there have been these tactics are various protests. If people wanted to do this, what would be the best targets?

Too much protest is geared towards getting media attention or making appeals to politicians. It's very clear that the Democrats will not take stand against the war. It would be silly to lobby them to change their positions, so the movements need to organize direct action that raises the stakes.

You know what USLAW should be doing? Since they are a coaltion of labor unions and labor organizers, their forte is organizing workers right?

If I had any input on USLAW strategy, I would suggest that they focus on a general strike at West Coast ports. The Achilles Heel of the U.S. economy right now is these ports. Most of our consumer goods come into the U.S. via those ports. Any disruption of this just-in-time network would have immediate ripples across the U.S. economy. This would be a risky strategy, but it may be the best way for the anti-war movement and labor to grab the war-mongering Democrats and Republicans by the balls.

Chuck