[lbo-talk] Pimping the working class. Was: LA demos something

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 28 22:17:36 PST 2006

Chuck Grimes & Doug,

Here's something amazing: about 3,000 people, mostly students taking the day off school, marched in downtown DALLAS today. And police even blocked off some of the streets for them. Dallas, Texas. This sort of thing never happens here -- though we did famously have a Mexican army unit here during the refugee crisis prompted by the Katrina disaster (and I posted about that here when it happened). --B.

Leaders call on pupils to return to school

06:29 PM CST on Tuesday, March 28, 2006

>From Staff and Wire Reports

After thousands of North Texas students left classes for a second day in response to proposed legislation that would make it a felony to enter the country illegally or to help illegal immigrants, community leaders issued a plea Tuesday afternoon for the students to take more "constructive" action.

[...]

At one point, about 100 students surged into City Hall and got as far as the fifth floor before being escorted back outside by security officers.

For the most part, the protest—involving an estimated 2,500 young people at its peak—was peaceful.

http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dws/wfaa/latestnews/stories/wfaa060328_wz_walkout.6cddf7d7.html

Chuck Grimes wrote:
> That turnout is really inspiring. But it's a
different demographic
> from the antiwar crowd, no? Doug
>
> -----------
>
> I've been thinking about that. BTW there was a small
latino antiwar
> march that had started in Tijuana and made it up to
SF area
> today. The leader's son was killed in Iraq.
>
> The LA demos are more than just a demographic
difference. They are a
> real working class movement protecting their
communities, their
> families, friends, and in solidarity with current
and future