[lbo-talk] need a Lenin quote...

www.leninology. blogspot.com leninology at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 28 23:01:40 PST 2006

Sadly, this is usually attributed to Stalin rather than Lenin: "When we hang the capitalists, they will sell us the rope".

However, according to Solzhenitsyn, Lenin made the statement:

"Lenin, who spent most of his life in the West and not in Russia, who knew the West much better than Russia, always wrote and said that the Western capitalists would do anything to strengthen the economy of the USSR. He said: They will bring us everything themselves, without thinking about their future. And, in a difficult moment, at a party meeting in Moscow, he said: 'Comrades, don't panic, when things get very though for us, we will give the bourgeoisie a rope, and the bourgeoisie will hang itself.' Then Karl Radek, who was a very resourceful wit,said: 'Vladimir Ilyich, but where are we going to get enough rope to hang the whole bourgeoisie?' Lenin effortlessly replied, ‘They will sell it to us themselves.' "