[lbo-talk] I'm so depressed -- Stanislav Lem dead

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Wed Mar 29 08:29:54 PST 2006

John Adams wrote:
> On Mar 29, 2006, at 9:50 AM, Chris Doss wrote:
>
>> Pournelle was a big SDI supporter,
>

> As was Niven, and Heinlein and (surprisingly to me) Benford--somewhere
> back home we've got a copy of "Mutual Assured Survival" with all their
> names on it.
>
>> but against both Iraq Wars.

> Wasn't it more or less on the grounds that it wasn't good for empire?
> Maybe I have this confused--they represent some of the better-written
> science fiction in a subgenre that I don't care for, and (wrongly
> perhaps, I grant you) I don't try to follow the gossip on him. (I'm
> still concentrating on when I'll be able to say unpopular things about
> Heinlein.)

It would be interesting to know which side of the page Niven and Pournelle's name appeared in that set of pages published in one of the SF magazines during the Vietnam War. One page had names of SF authors who opposed the war and the other page had names of supporters of the war. I'm not sure if either signed on to those ads. I remember that the old guard of SF--those guys who published SF in the 40s and 50s--mostly supported the war.

Chuck