[lbo-talk] I'm so depressed -- Stanislav Lem dead

John Adams jadams01 at sprynet.com
Wed Mar 29 08:05:35 PST 2006

On Mar 29, 2006, at 9:50 AM, Chris Doss wrote:

> Pournelle was a big SDI supporter,

As was Niven, and Heinlein and (surprisingly to me) Benford--somewhere back home we've got a copy of "Mutual Assured Survival" with all their names on it.

> but against both Iraq Wars.

Wasn't it more or less on the grounds that it wasn't good for empire? Maybe I have this confused--they represent some of the better-written science fiction in a subgenre that I don't care for, and (wrongly perhaps, I grant you) I don't try to follow the gossip on him. (I'm still concentrating on when I'll be able to say unpopular things about Heinlein.)

> I have no idea what Niven's politics are --
> I don't see much indication of them in his books.

I don't read him much, but I've got the definite impression he's pretty far right.

> Niven does seem to have a weird view on sex -- the
> everpresent ship's prostitute and all the nonsentient
> females in his aliens. Kind of creepy.

As I said above.