[lbo-talk] ruling class

Jerry Monaco monacojerry at gmail.com
Wed Mar 29 11:43:09 PST 2006

None of these terms are scientifically precise. Nor can they be ... contra- some Marxists. The value of C.W. Mills seem to me in asking what the rulers actually do when they rule.

But it is also good to keep in mind, contra-Mills, that owners also rule and sometimes they do more actual ruling than those who lead the government. If anyone has taught me this it is Doug. When banks, insurance companies, and coporations decide what to do where they are making a public decision that is labled a private decision. A bank that is owned by the government is part of the "state." A bank that is owned by stockholders is no less part of the state in a very broad sense but it is no longer part of the government. Railroads through the latter part of the nineteenth century set land use policy for vast swaths of the nation, established townships, decided who and where to recruit for the populations of those towns. In other words they functioned as quasi-states.