[lbo-talk] ruling class

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Mar 29 12:11:25 PST 2006

Miles Jackson wrote:

>That's what Mills would call the "economic sector" of the power
>elite. (Jim provided a nice synopsis of Mills upthread). The more I
>think about this, the more I agree with Mills that the term "ruling
>class" is not very useful.

Call me a dinosaur, but under capitalism, I think the "economic sector" is the ultimate power. Yes, I'll accept qualifications for partial state autonomy, "in the last instance," first among equals, etc. etc. But no so many that the fundamental nature of class rule is obscured. So ruling class is all right by me.

Doug