[lbo-talk] ruling class

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Thu Mar 30 09:04:30 PST 2006

Doug Henwood wrote:
> Miles Jackson wrote:
>
>> That's what Mills would call the "economic sector" of the power elite.
>> (Jim provided a nice synopsis of Mills upthread). The more I think
>> about this, the more I agree with Mills that the term "ruling class"
>> is not very useful.
>

> Call me a dinosaur, but under capitalism, I think the "economic sector"
> is the ultimate power. Yes, I'll accept qualifications for partial state
> autonomy, "in the last instance," first among equals, etc. etc. But no
> so many that the fundamental nature of class rule is obscured. So ruling
> class is all right by me.

I agree; that was my original argument in this thread. But if the economic sector is the ultimate power, then the bourgeoisie and the ruling class are just synonymous terms, right? --Bourgeoisie who make money and pay no attention to politics are still part of the ruling class, because politics in a capitalist society is predicated on their interests, even if they do nothing to actively "direct" political action.

Miles