[lbo-talk] V for Vendetta Roundtable

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri Mar 31 06:10:40 PST 2006

Brian wrote:

> I did not complain about the centrality of the queer story.
>
> My issue was the way queer lives were seen to have worth on insofar
> as they were useful to heterosexuals and their lives.
>
> That kind of homophobia disgusts me. For other people it may not
> be a problem or even welcomed.

I haven't read the comic book V for Vendetta yet, but based on the plot summary on the wiki entry on the comic book, it seems that the way film centers it on the relation between V and Evey creates the problem you point out. The comic book plot, as described by the wiki entry, suggests that Evey passes on what she learns from Valerie and V to another: "Evey completes V's final terrorist act, the destruction of 10 Downing Street, by giving her mentor a "viking funeral" with an explosive-laden Underground carriage containing his body set to detonate at the desired location. She rescues Dominic from the mob and takes him back to the Shadow Gallery, implying that she intends to train him as her successor, having vowed to help the people to create the society the original V dreamed of creating. Having removed the totalitarian old regime, there's no longer a need for destruction. Finch observes the chaos raging in the city before heading to the countryside. All forms of authority in Britain are now gone; its future is left uncertain" (at <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ V_for_Vendetta>). To me, that's a better plot than the film's, in that it doesn't reduce the lesbian relation to a pedagogical metaphor (leaning about oppression and resistance!) for straights and that instead it creates a sense of chain of political education, from one dissident (Valerie) to another dissident (V) to another dissident (Valerie) to yet another (Dominic).

Yoshie Furuhashi <http://montages.blogspot.com> <http://monthlyreview.org> <http://mrzine.org>