[lbo-talk] NYT on French unions

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Fri Mar 31 09:57:33 PST 2006

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dennis Claxton" <ddclaxton at earthlink.net> Nathan wrote:
>My point has been that the unions have been investing in a whole
>range of initiatives in Los
>Angeles for well over a decade and the mass mobilization last week
>was one fruit of those efforts.

-I live in Los Angeles and I'm familiar with the work you're talking -about. But this sounds like one of the things Fitch -criticizes.

How is this at all what Fitch was criticizing? This was a mass-based alliance built over years between the unions, the churches and immigrant community organizations.

My problem with Fitch is that there's almost no room in his book to even discuss something like the mass mobilizations last week, since they don't fit his paradigm of inward-looking, dues-obsessed bureaucrats.

Nathan Newman