[lbo-talk] Chomsky: Israel Lobby ?

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 31 12:17:19 PST 2006

What's your opinion on the initial Soviet suuport for Israel? In his book on his dad, Sergo Beria wrote the following:

My father and Stalin thought that by helping the state of Israel to come into being they would ensure the support of international finance for the Soviet Union. They saw in this state a base from which to influence the world of Jewry, with all its financial resources, in the interest of the USSR. It mattered little to my father that the new state's leaders were not Communists, provided that they were useful to us. We should put our money on Israel and not on the Arab countries as we had resources enough. He tried to help the Jews to create their state, in the first instance with Stalin's approval. He succeeded in giving military aid to Israel. Stalin did not know everything and did not necessarily approve of everything that my father did in this connection, in a sphere where he could act discreetly and without asking for permission, by using his personal network of agents. In return the Jews gave him information about the Arab world. I have met Israelis who received military training in the Soviet Union, certainly with Stalin's approval. But Stalin later abandoned the Jewish policy advocated by my father, which he had supported at the outset. My father wanted to continue with it, believing that it might prove fruitful in the less immediate future.

--- Charles Brown <cbrown at michiganlegal.org> wrote:

> Also, capitalism in general has internal
> contradictions, so to speak, that
> are irreconcilable contradictions _against_ even the
> ruling class,
> _especially_ against the ruling class. Maybe the
> situation in the Middle
> East has no solution for the U.S. ruling class (
> poor little ruling class).
> The U.S. capitalists' interests there will be in
> crisis if they support
> Israel and will be in crisis if they don't support
> Israel; would be in
> crisis there if they had supported Israel forty
> years ago, and would be in
> crisis if they hadn't supported Israel forty years
> ago.

Nu, zayats, pogodi!